How To Keep Loud Crickets Away From Your Kansas City Home
June 16, 2022 - Crickets
You're finally in bed, ready to get some much-needed sleep. But as soon as you close your eyes, you hear it—that nagging cricket chirping away just outside your window. If this scenario sounds familiar, don't worry, you're not alone. Millions of people deal with the aggravation of loud crickets every year. However, there's hope. With the help of a qualified Kansas City Pest Control professional, you can take back your nights and get the peaceful sleep you deserve.
Why Do Crickets Make A Chirping Sound?
Crickets make a chirping sound by rubbing their wings together. The friction of the wings against one another creates tiny vibrations that result in the familiar chirp. This process is known as stridulation. Different types of crickets chirp at different frequencies, depending on the species.
However, crickets chirp for nearly similar reasons. These are:
- Predators: Crickets will often chirp loudly when they sense danger in an attempt to alert other crickets of the presence of predators.
- To communicate with other crickets: Crickets use their chirping to communicate with each other. Each cricket has its own unique "song" to identify itself to others.
- To attract mates: In the late spring and summer, male crickets will start chirping loudly to attract mates.
- To wade off competitors: Male crickets will often chirp loudly to scare away other males. This helps them defend their territory and attract mates.
If cricket sounds at night keep you up, consult a pest control specialist. They have the tools and knowledge to help you rid your home of these annoying pests once and for all.
All The Ways Crickets Can Enter Homes
To effectively get rid of crickets, you need first to understand how they get into your home in the first place. However, this is easier said than done. Crickets can squeeze into some of the tiniest spaces imaginable, making it hard for homeowners to find and seal them off on their own. However, most often, they enter homes by:
- Crickets are experts at hiding and will often sneak into bags or boxes that are brought inside the home
- Entering through cracks in doors or windows
- Hiding in potted plants
- Crawling through open ventilation systems or chimneys
- Coming in contact with people or pets who have brought them inside unwittingly
If you're having trouble getting rid of crickets on your own, don't hesitate to call a pest control professional. They'll be able to identify all the ways crickets are entering your home and take the appropriate action to seal them off.
Six Cricket Prevention Tips for Kansas City Residents
If you notice any cricket droppings around your home, it's a clear sign that you have an infestation. However, there are some things you can do to help prevent crickets from entering the home:
- Seal off all cracks and crevices around your home using caulk or other sealant materials
- Repair any torn screens on doors or windows
- Keep doors and windows closed as much as possible
- Dispose of any unwanted cardboard or paper boxes immediately
- Destroy any cricket nest you find in your yard
- Clean up any spilled food or crumbs immediately
These tips won't get rid of crickets that are already present, but they can help reduce the likelihood of a future infestation. If you're having trouble with crickets, it's always best to consult a pest control professional.
Keeping Crickets Out of Your Home
Crickets are resilient pests and always find ways to sneak into homes and other buildings. This makes it difficult for you to get rid of them. The best way to do so is by seeking the assistance of Cridder Ridder - the pest specialists. We have a team of highly trained professionals who are ready to come into your home and help you get rid of crickets, no matter how bad the infestation is. You can contact us for a free no-obligation consultation.