The Dangers Squirrels Bring To Kansas City Properties
February 15, 2022 - Squirrels
Squirrels are a problem for most home and business owners throughout the United States, but they’re a particular issue here in Kansas City. These rodents are much more destructive than just raiding the occasional bird feeder. They can spread disease, introduce secondary flea and tick infestations, and severely damage property. That’s why it’s vital to have a residential or commercial pest control plan in place to keep your property free of them.
The Types Of Squirrels That Hang Around Kansas City Yards
There are several kinds of squirrels in Kansas City. Some of these rodents live in trees, while others live in the ground. The most common types of squirrels include:
- Tree Squirrels: There are three types of tree squirrels in Kansas City: gray squirrels, fox squirrels, and southern flying squirrels. Fox squirrels and gray squirrels are the most common types of squirrels in our area, and fox squirrels are also the largest.
- Ground Squirrels: The most common ground squirrel species you might run across on your Kansas City property is the thirteen-lined ground squirrel. Unlike the common tree squirrels we have in our area, ground squirrels live in burrows in the dirt like prairie dogs and chipmunks.
The Diseases Squirrels In Kansas City Are Capable Of Spreading
All rodents can spread disease, and squirrels are no exception. While they don’t spread as many illnesses as rats and mice do, squirrels still carry potentially serious diseases like:
Squirrels can also introduce secondary infestations into your home. Like all rodents, squirrels often carry a high parasite load. These parasites include fleas and ticks, which can hitch a ride onto your property and then decide it’s a great place to set up shop permanently. These external parasites can carry their own set of dangerous pathogens, including:
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Lyme disease
Squirrels don’t just spread disease. They also can be pretty destructive to your property. They love to rip up plush materials to make nests for the winter. That means any lawn furniture you have outside is not safe, especially in the fall. If squirrels can get into your home or other outbuildings, they might also take a shot at your insulation. Squirrels also can chew and tear through screening and ventilation to create passageways into your attic. Shrubbery, ornamental plants, and even many backyard veggies aren’t safe from snacking squirrels either.
Effective Squirrel Prevention Tips For Kansas City Properties
Squirrels have different behavioral patterns and preferences than other types of rodents that commonly infest Kansas City homes. This means you might have to take some additional measures to keep them off your property and out of your house. To keep squirrels away, take actions like:
- Seal potential entry points, especially in your attic or anywhere close to trees.
- Trim back tree branches away from your house.
- Pick up fallen nuts, acorns, and any other tree litter that squirrels might eat.
- Use scarers like pinwheels, motion-activated noisemakers, or fake owls to frighten squirrels away.
- Remove easily accessible water sources like birdbaths or kiddie pools.
The Safest Way To Keep Squirrels Away From Your Kansas City Property
If you can’t seem to get rid of stubborn squirrels no matter what you do, give Cridder Ridder Wildlife & Pest Control a call. We offer top-of-the-line commercial and residential pest control, including removal and prevention solutions for all types of rodents. We are a Kansas City area leader in wildlife removal services. So if you’re ready to get those pesky squirrels out of your yard, contact us today to schedule your home or commercial inspection.